The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced this year’s nominees for the 35th annual News & Documentary Emmy® Awards, which recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcast journalism and documentary filmmaking. And ITVS is proud to say that nine of our documentaries received 13 nominations for 2013!
PBS received a total of 43 nominations — the most of any network — including 10 nominations for Independent Lens, 11 nominations for FRONTLINE (two for the ITVS-funded Outlawed in Pakistan), and six for POV (including Reportero), so it’s a great day all around for public media documentaries! The News & Documentary Emmy Awards will be presented on Tuesday, September 30th, 2014, in New York City. "These Emmy nominations are a testament to the expemplary journalism that independent documentary filmmakers practice," said Lois Vossen, Independent Lens Deputy Executive Producer. "They reflect the extraordinary vitality and diversity of our vibrant independent documentary community." And without further ado, here are the ITVS films receiving Emmy honors:
- Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - Outstanding Arts and Culture Programming - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
- Beauty Is Embarrassing - Outstanding Graphic Design & Art Direction
- Detropia - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
- How to Survive a Plague - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form - Best Documentary
- The Invisible War - Best Documentary - Outstanding Investigative Journalism—Long Form
- Outlawed in Pakistan - Outstanding Informational Programming - Long Form - Outstanding Research
- Reportero - Outstanding Informational Programming—Long-Form Continued
- The Revolutionary Optimists - Outstanding Business and Economic Reporting—Long Form
- The Waiting Room - Outstanding Editing: Documentary and Long Form
From our blog
September 2, 2021
ITVS robust 2021 edition of its Independents Summit was jam-packed with panels of ITVS-funded filmmakers, industry partners, PBS reps, and thought leaders asking, What does "now" look like for documentary makers in a rapidly changing media landscape? Read on for our recap.
August 23, 2021
Get a sneak peek at the Summer 2021 ITVS Independents Summit, a series of conversations for funded filmmakers to talk about what is changing in the documentary industry, about what public media makers have gone through, and what ITVS has learned in a tumultuous year.
July 19, 2021
ITVS is proud to share Stories for a Stronger Nation, a report that represents the culmination of a months-long series of conversations convened by ITVS board members Garry Denny, Sharon La Cruise and Patricia Aufderheide and published in collaboration with the Center for Media & Social Impact (CMSI) at American University with support from Ford…